|Originally from Shantalla, Catherine has lived in the Claddagh since 1988. She is married with two children
A practising Barrister, Catherine previously worked as a Clinical Psychologist with the Western Health Board in Ballinasloe, Galway City and in Connemara.
Catherine was first elected to the City Council in the West Ward in June 1999 and then re-elected in the South Ward in 2004.
In the same year she was extremely proud to serve the people of Galway as Mayor of the City. In June 2009 Catherine was re-elected to the City Council in what is now known as Galway City West (formally South Ward).
Like many Galwegians, Catherine has a particular love of the Irish Language and has used every opportunity both to deepen her knowledge of it and to promote Galway as the bilingual Capital City of Ireland. Achievements To Date
Catherine is a member of various committees including:
- Adoption of Motion to make Galway a Child- Friendly City resulting in a planned program of play facilities
- The provision of a walkway/cycle path in South Park
- The provision of a skateboarding facility
- The promotion of waste reduction and recycling
- Facilitating Residents' Committees and Sporting Organizations to access resources
- Ensuring that housing applicants know where they are on the Housing Waiting List
- Ensuring the adoption of the Barcelona Declaration to make Galway City universally accessible
- Ensuring review of the Housing Strategy to address the Housing Crisis.
- Objectives now in City Development Plan for: Park and Ride; Bus Lanes School of Music; a Writers Centre
- Corporate Policy Committee of the City Council
- Environment Strategic Policy Committe-Chairwoman
- Recreation, Amenity and Culture Strategic Policy Committee
- Regional Health Forum
- Primary Care Committee
- Corrib Navigation Trustees
- Natural Environment and Waterways Committee-Chairwoman
- City Development Board
- Civic Trust